Follow by Email

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Yoga - My Daily Fix

What does yoga have to do with creating jewelry?  Well, for me practicing regular yoga detoxifies my body and centers my mind thereby opening the channels of creativity!  That's what.


We all have fun things we love to do but sometimes we're just too busy with life to enjoy doing them.  How often do we use or hear the excuse "I don't have time".  The reality of that excuse is that what it really means is that you won't make time.  Even though I don't work at a 'day job' anymore I'm no different.  I'm busier now than ever before and fun time is hard to come by.  By chance I stumbled upon the benefits of yoga and my life hasn't been the same since.  Everything is better.  I am able to accomplish the things that need doing in a day so I can relax and do the fun stuff, like creating jewelry.  I'm amazed that by just spending 20 minutes doing some nice slow stretches and simple meditation I have tons more energy, am more alert and feel happy.  I told my physiotherapist that if everybody practiced yoga the world would be a much happier place.  I really mean that!

I used to run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get things done and feeling rushed and pressured to do even more.  But since beginning yoga this past March I'm able to prioritize, organize and follow through with the things that matter most.  I've learned that the most important thing I can do in a day is to take time for my 'self'.  By that I mean to take care of my body. 

So, sometimes it's not that we don't have time to do a particular thing it's more a case of we're simply too stressed or frazzled to allow our minds to focus.  If you ever feel like this please take a little advice and give yoga a try.  I picked up Rodney Yee's DVD, Yoga for Beginners (learn more at http://www.gaiam.com/) and first watched the pose instruction section then tried it.  The benefits were immediate for me.  Since then I've been doing his 20 minute morning workout in the morning, afternoon, evening or just whenever I feel like it or need to.  Rodney Yee is my hero and yoga has changed my life.  'Like' him on facebook

By the way I don't have a 'yoga body', I need to lose 20 pounds.  I also have a chronic illness but I don't let these things hold me back from doing the best I can with yoga because the benefits have been tremendous.  I'd love to hear if you practice yoga and what it's done for you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.
Namaste!

1 comment: